Mosaic Equality Knowledge Portal
MOSAIC is a registered charity established as a not for profit company limited by guarantee.
First established in 1990 it operates in the locality of Brighton and Hove and surrounding areas where there are significant numbers Black and Mixed-Parentage people who are socially excluded and who face discrimination based on race and ethnicity.
MOSAIC exists to empower Black and Mixed-Parentage families to combat racism and to support the development of positive cultural and racial identity. MOSAIC executes this vision by:
- creating safe, supportive and culturally diverse environments for people and families of Black and Mixed-Parentage backgrounds,
- providing opportunities for people and families of Black and Mixed-Parentage backgrounds to positively explore their cultural and racial identity.
- representing the interests of people and families of Black and Mixed-Parentage backgrounds
The underlying values which guide all MOSAIC services and operations are:
- Positive recognition and celebration of our diverse origins
- Member participation
- Equality of opportunities
- Mutual support
- Mutual respect
- Enjoyable social contact
MOSAIC in Numbers
The organisation has a small staff team and a dedicated team of volunteers and sessional workers who facilitate the running of safe spaces for the client group and who provide advice and information on issues related to race and cultural identity.
MOSAIC currently has an approximate membership of:
- 2,461 members who are all from Black and Mixed-Parentage heritage.
- 1,147 Adults
- 1,314 Children and young people.
- Approximately 68% of MOSAIC children are of mixed parentage.
- 84% of adults are non-white which includes
- 20% who are of mixed parentage
- 18% are African
- 11% are African Caribbean
- 10% are Asian
MOSAIC is a registered charity - No.1077537